Sunday, September 9, 2007

Blueberry Yogurt Muffins



What happens when you can't differentiate the labelling on a product, thereby foolishly buying plain yogurt instead of a vanilla-flavoured?

Why, you make blueberry yogurt muffins of course.

Upon lifting the lid off my Mundella product and licking a spoonful of the creamy white substance, I found, with a blow to my stomach, that I had purchased a 99.7% fat-free plain/natural yogurt instead of my favourite vanilla-flavoured one. Disappointed and mentally abusing myself for my stupidity, I placed the yogurt back in the fridge, leaving the matter aside. Couple of days later, while on the net, I decided to browse through recipes which could utilise my abandoned bottle of yogurt, sitting like an outcast in the cold room. From yogurt dips to toppings for mediterranean pilafs, plain yogurt was pretty flexible in its use. People subsitute yogurt for milk in curries and creamy sauces, which begs for healthier and less fatty dishes.

Uses aside, I finally decided to make blueberry yogurt muffins. I love muffins, and blueberries even more. So what can be better than having two at one go?







Fresh-out-of-the-oven muffins are just breath-taking. They smell so amazing and they have the most wondrous colour ever. Once you look at these, you'll never go back to making muffins out from those muffin mix boxes again!

The blueberries lend a natural sweetness, making the muffins not overly sweet but enriched with a blueberry flavour. Texture-wise, not very crumbly like those bakery-style muffins, leaning towards a cross between a muffin and a cupcake. Light and fluffy, these muffins are so delectable, you can eat them everyday for brekky!



Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
2 cups plain flour
1 cup fresh/frozen blueberries
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 200 dC.
Line muffin pan with paper cups
Beat egg, then stir in yogurt and oil. Mix in dry ingredients until well-combined/fully moistened. Fold in blueberries. Fill paper muffin cups until 2/3 full. Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 12

No comments: