Saturday, September 29, 2007

Singapore's First German Cafe

With 4 events to organise between now and 6 Nov, coupled with a raw recruit and another celebrating the birth of first daughter, I have had zero time for blogging this week. My apologies to all of you who had come and left in disappointment!

In vengence, my hubby and I decided to throw caution to the winds and indulge! Hence this evening we drove to Werner's Oven at Upper East Coast. According to their name card, this was the first German bakery and cafe in Singapore.

For drinks, we debated whether to order the German beer but my hubby decided to opt for the ice chocolate instead - thus giving us a reason to make a return visit!



For food, we had three dishes. First we had the popular ox-tail stew. The meat was bone-tender (to borrow my daughter's word). With only two apiece of ox-tail and potato, it was a bit steep for the price. Nevertheless, it sure brought back memories of my mummy's top-class version which was not only richer and tastier but came brimming with carrrots, onions and potatoes.



The boiled bratwurst sausages were served with potato salad. I spread the sausages with the mustard provided and popped them into my mouth. Mmm...it sure tasted crunchy, fresh and succulent. Non-oily and thus nutritious. By the way, 'bratwurst' means sausage made from pork or beef. Brat means fine chopped meat, and wurst means sausage. My hubby finished the entire potato salad! You form the verdict yourself.



The recommended meat loaf comes with bread dumpling, sauerkraut (cabbage fermented in red wine) and potatoes (not again!). Nevertheless, this was the indeed the highlight of the evening!



Surprisingly, the bread dumpling was tasty and rich! Did I say this dish certainly provide another reason to come again?



For dessert, we went to the bakery 2 doors away and ordered carrot cake, apple cheese cake and walnut brownie. Ooo-la-la, am I in heaven or what? Let me worry about the tummy tomorrow. Today, I am in German Heaven!

No comments: