Monday, September 3, 2007

Tuna Saves The Day

One of the more common fishes around in supermarkets, canned or otherwise fresh tuna is low in fat, doesn't increase your cholesterol and mighty rich in omega-3 fatty acids (which are the good kind of fats).

I didn't used to like tuna when I was a little girl. Whether it was a tuna sandwich/bun or anything tuna-related, my mouth wasn't that enthusiastic about it. I suppose the only meal that had me eating tuna out of my hands were weekly tuna paninis at Coffee Bean. Man, those guys really know how to make picky little food eaters (like me) eat their fish. Anyway, that feeling hasn't gone, which is rather ironic that tuna saved my day. Maybe one of the reasons why I wasn't really fond of tuna was how grainy it was coming out of a can. They weren't soft and tender like cod or other white fish. Rather abit like salmon, another fish with a sort of grainy texture.

To cut a long story short, I got inspired by Jamie Oliver's recipe, 'Jools' Favourite Saturday Afternoon Pasta '(Jools, being his wife). The thought was if his wife's favourite pasta had tuna in it, there couldn't be any harm could it? Besides, the ingredients could be easily manipulated and more importantly, only simple ingredients were required.

And?



The result was fantastic. The aroma of good quality tuna with that hint of olive flavour after being canned in olive oil was unmistakable. Canned tomatoes and canned tuna make an absolute perfect pair. Using red onions instead of white/brown allowed instant sweetness to permeate through. It was by far, and I do not exaggerate, the best and simplest spaghetti I have ever eaten yet.



Supper was another affair. I made onigiri and sushi while using leftover tuna pasta sauce and tuna flakes in oil. Cooking the sushi rice in a pot was quite a disaster, something which I will definitely never attempt again. I suppose it was bad karma on me for forsaking my good old buddy - rice-cooker. The rice grains were still a touch hard in the middle, leaving me to microwave the rice for about 3 minutes. This is the first time I made an onigiri (without a mold) and I'm pretty proud of my result!



Kawaii!! ^_^

1 comment:

Here-I-Am-Lord said...

Yum! Yum!

How I wish I could have some of that tuna sushi, besides my twice a week very boring and plain sardine sandwiches.

I passed my first test today and I am very, very happy. I finished the paper in 1 hour when we were given 2 hours to complete. Fancy, me taking an exam after 18 years. Thank God, He has my mind still on the go and working. My next exam is on Thu, 27 Sep. I need to go crank up/squeeze my brain again.

Luv
Daddy