Monday, July 16, 2007

Instant Fix

Lately, lacklustre me has been surviving on the marvellous invention of instant noodles. Packets after packets, mostly Nissin. I can't say I do enjoy eating them, though they serve to fill up my otherwise ravenous tummy. Tonkatsu, teriyaki, sho-something (a seaweed flavour, Nissin brand), etc. After awhile, the familiar, starchy, insipid taste of the noodles really gets to you, despite however addictive the soup flavour remains.

Today was no different. I had a bowl of tonkatsu-flavoured Nissin noodles with two stuffed mushrooms I got at some local veggie store, an anchovy fillet and a boiled egg with runny yolk. Simple fare for dinner. Not what I would call exciting, but filling. Though I have a funny feeling the mushrooms contributed to my gut ache after the meal. (People who know me will understand that I have a rather sensitive stomach)

On an earlier note, I had my overdue chicken rice fix while I was back in Singapore.



Oooh! Chicken rice never tasted any better. Boon Tong Kee is the place I always return to after a long bout of overseas craving. I heart the silky smooth texture of its white meat, especially so when dipped generously in the sinful, salty flavour of the soy sauce. Liver is a must for me when eating chicken rice. I think its mushy, not overly smelly, chewiness does it for me. Hell, I'm even addicted to pig's and duck's liver.
I suppose there are other much better chicken rice stalls somewhere out there. But I have been eating Boon Tong Kee since I was little and its close proximity gives it an upper hand as well.





Cons: I don't particularly like BTK's chilli.

Still, a good meal which leaves my tummy happily satisfied.

No comments: