Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Nuts About Nuts

I don't quite remember how my fetish with anything nuts started.



My earliest recollection was chocolate-coated macadamia nuts. Yes, my first ever foray into Hawaii was in 1984 on my honeymoon. And between the newly-weds, we lugged back 10 boxes of Hawaiian Host! Later, I found that salted roasted cashews is a popular Chinese New Year festive snack served by families - my in-laws included.

Nowadays, not a day can pass without me foraging into packets of almonds, cashews and peanuts found in my office desk, at home and even in my car. They are great snacks especially in between meals. Sometimes, they can even replace an entire meal!

Nuts are definitely healthier alternatives to other snack items such as chips. Studies have shown that nuts contain fibre, minerals and vitamins necessary for a healthy lifestyle. Nuts are high in mono-unsaturated fats, which is beneficial to health and even reduce cholesterol levels.

As long as you control total calories, eating a handful of nuts daily may help prevent weight gain and possibly promote weight loss. The fat, protein and fiber in nuts help you feel full longer, so you may eat less during the day. By helping induce a feeling of satiety, nuts may help people feel less deprived and not like they're "dieting." Just limit your portion to a healthy handful.

No comments: