Friday, July 20, 2007

Nigella's Chocolate Pots



I was browsing through Youtube as per normal, given the gamut of videos they broadcast over their site, and stumbled upon a Chinese Takeaway prank call video. Eyes instantaneously drawn to the immense number of viewers received, I clicked on the link pronto. Lo & behold, it is really quite amusing how some people actually ridicule others. Naturally, I rummaged through a hodgepodge of cooking videos on Youtube, from Anthony Bourdain to Gordon Ramsay, and irrevocably landed with the ravishing, butter-rich laden voice of Nigella Lawson. A now-&-then chocoholic, it was simply futile to resist the temptations that a Choco Pot was proposing. Moreover, the process was hardly tortuous, and the ingredients were the basic of all basics.

It is in your best interests, that I should confess I'm a true scatterbrain. So it didn't register then that it was compulsory of me to get a packet of white granulated sugar while I was at Woolies. (despite it being written down on my grocery list, clutched in my palm, at the supermarket) Tweaking with Nigella's recipe, I decided on substituting the granulated sugar with raw sugar. A few search clicks on the internet propelled me to my decision, though I know that my finished product would be a wee more moist, what with the molasses and all that stuff I should research on in the future if I ever pounce on the thought of becoming a baker.



The result? A no-holds barred chocolate product in and out. The sticky, chewy border of a crust had a cloying, almost caramel-like taste, most likely attributed to the caramelisation of the molasses in the raw sugar. Once you break open the rich dark satiny skin, the gooey, chocolaty custard almost oozes out in anticipation. Upon first taste, I thought it was similar to what an undercooked brownie might feel. Might savour it with vanilla ice-cream next time.

Undeniably sinful, and certainly not on a full stomach.

No comments: