Friday, August 10, 2007

Fruity Business

I love fruits. And I know alot of people out there do too. Fruits are just amazing. Full of nutritious vitamins and minerals, wholly refreshing (imagine taking a huge chunk out of a really juicy watermelon after an exercise - YUM) and they are just so convenient for easy on-the-go eating. Oranges, mangoes, kiwis and strawberries are just a few among my favourite fruits.

Today I'm blogging about a couple of fruits which I tried for the first time, deciding to get them on impulse after reading positive reviews of them from other fellow bloggers.

I'm talking about the gold kiwi fruit and the blood orange.


The gold kiwi is just completely different from the common normal kiwi. If you notice the shape, it is thinner than the average kiwi, with a pointy flat tip at one end. Cutting open the kiwi reveals its light yellow flesh. Again, another difference from the normal kiwi which is green in colour.


And for the best part? The taste is just awesome. A mellow honey-like fragrance erupts once you bite into the soft creamy flesh.


When I first saw a picture of the blood orange on the web, I was quite mystified by the striking rich red colour its flesh encased. It was a real discovery for me, obviously quite unlike any other orange I've known. Of course, curiosity got the better of me. Unexpectedly chancing upon a really tiny section of blood oranges at Woolies, I excitedly got two of these babies. The blood orange is considerably smaller than a normal-sized average orange. The skin is thinner and softer, which makes it rather easy to peel, quite like a mandarin.


As expected, the colour is the focal point of its beauty. Which makes one wonder whether that rich a colour would cause the taste to be less flavourful. But I was wrong. The blood orange has a taste quite unlike any orange I've eaten. It's hard to pen it down, but the sweetness is rather overpowering (in a good sense) and the juices were just bursting with flavour. I can't emphasize how good it tastes, really. Oh yes, I would definitely purchase a bag of blood oranges again.

No comments: