Saturday, August 4, 2007

A Lesson on Bagels



I am dedicating this post to my dearest hubby.

Two hours earlier, we headed to one of our breakfast joints. Instead of my usual muffin, I was looking forward to sinking my teeth onto a bagel full of eggs and salmon. I could just picture the eggs done just right with the yolk oozing out as I take my first bite.

Instead of myself, this morning, my hubby gave our breakfast orders to the person behind the counter. This is just the recipe for disaster. When our orders came, it was certainly eggs and salmon and bread. The eggs were scrambled and the bagel that I was eyeing was nowhere in sight.
Apparently, my hubby genuinely thought that the particular bread that comes with the order belongs to the bagel family. Hence, my decision to dedicate this post to him.



So what is bagel? The bagel is a bread in the form of a roughly hand-sized ring. The interior is dense, chewy and doughy while the exterior is often browned and sometimes crisp. (Just think of a savoury doughnut.) Bagels are often topped with seeds baked onto the outer crust with the most traditional being poppy or sesame seeds.

Bagels are often eaten with several different popular toppings. Amongst these are cream cheese, smoked salmon, corned beef, tomato and onion. Even McDonald's has a line of breakfast bagel sandwiches that contain egg, cheese, and meat combinations between the bagel slices.

No comments: