Sunday, August 19, 2007

Home-made Steak



I made these delicious home-made steaks for the second time in a row ever since buying a couple of scotch fillet steaks with Dad whilst he was in Perth.

And boy, do scotch fillets taste good! Juicy, tender and most importantly, a balanced steak. Balanced steak meaning juicy and pink on the inside, firm but most definitely not overwhelmingly hard on the outside. I once had a most unbalanced steak ever at a restaurant, where the outside was hard like a rock, and the inside was pretty much uncooked to the point of rawness. (blood was oozing out like a waterfall, *shudders*) And the funny thing was, we asked for medium-well.

I marinated the fillets with a simple garlic-soy marinade (marinade recipe below). Dunk them in a ziploc bag, and leave them in the fridge for about 2 hrs. Easy-peasy.



To accompany the steak. I blanched some broccoli in boiling water and fried up some mushrooms in a buttery sauce. Simple but really good.



My steaks were fried for about 3-5 minutes on each side. You don't have to put too much oil as the fats will give off their own. Lastly, I made the sauce using leftover marinade with a bit of water to remove the saltiness, simmering it to the taste of my choice. Drizzle the steaks with the sauce and tuck in!

Garlic-Soy Marinade (Kudos to Dad)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2-1 tsp minced garlic

Give them a good mix and pour the marinade all over the steak. Refridgerate for at least 2 hrs.

1 comment:

Here-I-Am-Lord said...

Next time, can you send some of your juicy steak meals over to me by DHL? I am "starving" here.

The meat from the supermaket are really fresh and priced cheaper than in hot, sunny and humid Singapore. Similarly, for the coffee, milk and veggies.

You have tried rib-eye and scotch steaks now. Try cooking up some tenderloin meat next time, when they are on sale.

Luv
Dad