Friday, August 3, 2007

Sweet Yam Dessert



Like most teochew-ans, my family enjoys a bowl of sweet yam or taro paste now and then. Served with either pieces of pumpkin or ginko nuts or combination of both, the dessert is 'non-pareil'. Even my hokkien hubby is hooked. It provides the ultimate finish to any teochew dinner outing.

When I was growing up, my mum used to serve this for dinner regularly. To make good yam paste is not easy. The yam must be smooth with just the right consistency and sweetness. This can only be obtained through steaming and lots of mashing with fork until the yam is fully and completely blended with oil - without any lumps! Then the entire paste is fried with shallots, pandan leaves and sugar, and lastly water added to just the right consistency.

Nowadays, restaurants have adulterated the original yam paste version by adding coconut which spoils the taste and tend to over dilute the yam unnecessarily.



Thankfully, some still serve the true yam paste version. This can be found at mid-class Guan Hin restaurant along Whampoa, high end Golden Palace restaurant at Paragon and at dessert kiosks in Anchorpoint and Amoy Food Street Centre. Try any of them and see if you are not hooked!

By the way, this is not the only sweet yam dessert enjoyed by the Teochews. Want to know more? Continue to tune in!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, I've came across a site to unite all Teochew around the globe and I thought you might be interested in checking it out at www.tcfaces.com

Anonymous said...

hi bros. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking for that particular make. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers were about 300 pounds on every site. But definitively I bring about this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase these. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good day ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking for the sake of that exact model. The prices due to the fact that the shoes are approximately 190 pounds everwhere. But completely I base this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order these. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

good evening ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking for that exact make. The prices due to the fact that the velcros are all over 310 dollars everwhere. But finally I set this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase these. what can you tell me about these?