Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Pisang Goreng (Fried Bananas)

When I was a mere child, my parents often took me and my sister to Lau Pa Sat, a huge hawker centre stocked with stalls of every Singaporean delicacy you could think of. Think laksa, hokkien mee, chicken rice, mee goreng, char kway teow, etc. Food was alright, nothing special, just everyday really fatty food one could find almost anywhere around Singapore.

What strikes me most deeply about my childhood visits to Lau Pa Sat would definitely have to be the Pisang Goreng, an utterly sinful infatuation of mine back then and now. Pisang Goreng or otherwise Goreng Pisang, are over-ripe bananas slathered in thick batter and deep-fried in oil.

Yesterday was one of the days I suddenly had an urge to make something well, eatable. So pouncing upon the fact that Pisang Goreng consist of the simplest ingredients ever, I had a rather 'battery' kitchen that day.

Now Pisang Goreng is really just a simple dessert on the eyes. Bananas and batter, period. So what would make a Pisang Goreng stand out would irrevocably, have to be the batter. From my childhood experiences and simple research, Pisang Goreng originated from the Malays. The type of batter they used differed from what the Chinese would produce, in that, the Chinese use egg in their batter, whereas the Malays don't. I did a batter experiment that day, using one with egg and another without any egg, and the result was significant.



The batter with a deeper yellow colour(with egg), produced a heavier, richer, more crunchy exterior. The Pisang Goreng had a more golden brown colour to it, probably caused by the colour of the egg yolk (below, first pic). On the other hand, the almost off-white batter(no egg), produced a lighter and chewier texture. The crunchiness was almost absent but the chewy bit definitely made up for it. I instantly developed a deeper love for it as opposed to the Chinese-style Pisang Goreng (below, second pic). I might add though, that I did not deep-fry the Pisang Goreng but pan-fried them instead as I ran out of oil. But deep-frying would definitely give them that extra crunch.





What can I say - even though I'm studying overseas, nothing can withstand my love for these delectable fried bananas. Try making it, I bet you it'll be super easy.

No comments: